I think that after 4.5 months of battling leaks and explosions and frustration, I have finally found THE night time solution for us... well, for Emersyn. I posted last week about my success using a toddler prefold, bamboo insert and microfiber insert inside a pocket diaper... with a fleece cover over top - I'm still using much the same system, I've just refined it a little.
To start with I was using a bamboo terry trifold insert, wrapped inside the prefold, but I decided to give the [trimmer] bamboo fleece a go... luckily that worked just as well as the bamboo terry. I also wondered if there was a way to fold the prefold so it would actually be the length of the pocket, and I wouldn't have a bunch to fold over - which added a lot of bulk to the whole diaper... I remembered seeing infant prefolds being trifolded width ways, as opposed to length ways [see photo later in post], so I tried this and VOILA - it was the perfect length... it also cut down on quite a lot of the bulk, which if you remember was one of the issues I had with that whole diaper setup. Last night I began wondering if I even really needed the bamboo inside the prefold - because I know the bigger prefolds are more absorbent, so decided to give it a go and leave out the bamboo. This morning I was pleasantly surprised when there were no leaks.
So if you've lost track, the new diaper 'set up' is a toddler prefold trifolded width ways, with a microfiber insert on top of the trifold - and then it's all inserted into a pocket, and a fleece cover is put on top. I am now wondering if I can eliminate the fleece cover by using a better fitting pocket diaper... I have been using FuzziBunz petite, which fit Em well when they are just stuffed with microfiber inserts during the day, but I find that when they are stuffed to the max they gape at the legs, and the top of the diaper doesn't fit snugly on the tummy - that also gapes. Those two issues were the reason I used the fleece - I knew the fleece would catch any leaks up the top, or down at the legs.
Upon a suggestion from one of my lovely blog followers, I decided to take another look at some pockets I have - Ecobubs woolen pockets... These are side snapping diapers, and I know they get a really nice fit around the tummy during the day, so I decided to put all my absorbency in and see how it looked on Emersyn.
BINGO. It was a LOT trimmer than the FuzziBunz, and there was absolutely no gaping around the legs - and the fit across the tummy was nice and snug. Obviously I need to wait until tomorrow morning to give an official verdict, but I think that if she wakes up leak free [or relatively, depending on how many bottles she has overnight, and how long she sleeps in the morning], we may have found our DREAM night time solution.
Here is a visual representation of the diaper composition, for those of you who like visuals...
|step one - the toddler prefold, obviously pre trifolding. if you look closely you can see the two horizontal lines in the fabric, which would normally be vertical|
|step two - sides of prefold are folded into the center. again if you look closely you can see the two horizontal lines|
|step three - the prefold is then folded into a pad type shape [ie completing the trifold]|
|step four - the microfiber insert is then placed on top of the prefold|
|step five - the prefold and insert are then placed inside the pocket - microfiber closest to the microfleece layer [white] of diaper|
|step six - 'here is one I made earlier' - place the diaper on the baby. this photo was the actual diaper that Emersyn wore to bed - I decided to do a photo tutorial AFTER she'd gone to bed..|
|a better view of the fit around the legs|
I will hopefully have a positive report in the morning.. I sure hope so anyway. If it does work, I guess I need to invest in some more Ecobubs too...